Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry)
I am hooked on Indian food. It is so cheap, easy, waste free and there are great vegetarian flavours.
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 onion
- tsp crushed ginger
- tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 tin tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (Mango powder) *Optional
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi *optional
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one tin brought)
- Any extra veggies you want to add *optional
Put oil in a pot and fry the cumin seeds until they start crackling. Add onion and saute until translucent. Mix in the chilli (if you are using fresh or flakes. If using powder wait until after the tomatoes are in), garlic and ginger. Saute for another couple of minutes then add the tomato and some cooking water. Add veggies.
Put all the spice powders, except garam masala and kasuri methi, together in a bowl/mortar and mix. Add to the curry along with the chickpeas and simmer.
Just before serving, add the garam masala and kasuri methi. Dish up on rice with fresh coriander to garnish.
Indian Cooking Tips
- whole spices get fried in oil at the start, powdered spices get mixed together and added to the gravy.
- the longer you saute the onion, the more caramelized the flavour of the curry
- substitute or omit things as you have them. Use leftover veggies, vary the spices or swap out the chickpeas for other legumes.
- most of the ingredients are available at bulk bin stores (Bin Inn) otherwise try your local Indian Supermarket.